The Joy Luck Kitchen


Stories, Recipes & Ancient Chinese Secrets...from my kitchen to yours



Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Beef & Tomato over Rice

If you are like me, you're crazy busy with the kids and their activities. I've only got three, but I swear they are going in a thousand directions at once. Often times, when I find that I'm in a bind for dinner, I turn to this quick and easy one dish dinner that is both healthy and delicious!



I'm always amazed at how quickly my kids just gobble this up, even my son who claims he won't eat tomatoes.

Tonight, I have to go and attend Back to School night for my two youngest children. So, guess what we are having for dinner tonight? That's right, you guessed it!

Now, as with any well stocked Chinese Kitchen, I almost always have scallions, garlic and tomatoes on hand. (check out my Pantry to see what else I keep on hand)





If I'm lucky.....I might have some flank steak too, but if not, I just swing by the market and pick some up.

Now, I must warn you that I usually cook my Chinese dishes without "measuring" the ingredients. My mother taught me to eyeball everything, so that's how I've been cooking for years. I will, however, include the measurements, but always feel free to tweak it.

Printable recipe
Ingredients:

  • 1.5 lbs flank steak 
  • 3-4 medium tomatoes cut into thick chunks/slice
  • 3 scallions - sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic - crushed then sliced
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce*
  • 1/4 cup cooking wine
  • 1-2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 tbs cornstarch
  • 2-3 tsp sugar
  • 1 cup of water
  • 3-4 tbs of cooking oil
  • Black pepper
* Please keep in mind that the salt content in soy sauce various considerably between brands. You may need to adjust the amount that is used to suit your taste






Directions:
  1. Very thinly slice the flank steak into 1 1/2 inch pieces and place in a medium sized bowl
  2. Combine soy sauce, wine, sesame oil garlic and pour over beef to marinate. Mix well.
  3. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the beef and combine until thoroughly mixed
  4. Heat up your oil in a wok so that it is very hot
  5. Pour the beef and the marinade into the heated wok and cook until just slightly pink in the centers of the slices and return to the bowl
  6. Add some more oil to the wok and continue to heat. Then saute the tomatoes, scallions and sugar until the tomatoes begin to soften
  7. In the wok, combine the beef and tomatoes.
  8. Add water and cook for another 2-3 minutes. If at this point the sauce is not thick enough you may add some more cornstarch. Season to taste.
  9. Spoon over cooked rice....don't forget the sauce!
I hope that your family enjoys this dish.....


1 comment:

  1. This looks great and really easy! I can't wait to make it! Thanks Julia!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...